Thursday, April 19, 2012

Paris in February: Are we nuts?

This is the only time I can get away from work and the air/hotel deals are kind of hard to resist.





I%26#39;m not too worried about the weather; we%26#39;re from the northeast states of the U.S. so nothing bothers us, but what Is the weather like in Paris this time of year? London was lovely the week we visited this past February, I%26#39;m hoping for more of the same this winter. (How different are the weather patterns between the two cities?)





Do Paris schools have a term break in Feb.? (anyone know which week?) Anything really %26quot;closed%26quot; this time of year? I know the gardens will be wearing their winter coats, but is anything else sleeping?





Last question: Which Paris guidebook does the Paris forum on TA particularly like? Thanks in advance!




|||



No, you%26#39;re not nuts. We were in Paris this past February for four glorious days. We%26#39;re from Southern CA, so we were expecting to be very cold, but ended up with lots of sunshine and it only rained on our last night. I don%26#39;t recall anything being closed due to the season.





You will find that we Paris forumers have varying opinions regarding guidebooks. I personally swear by DK Eyewitness. I also have come to appreciate Fodor%26#39;s and Lonely Planet. I probably have 6-8 different Paris guidebooks.




|||



I truly believe there is no %26quot;bad%26quot; time to go to Paris (although I admit than I have not been in August, when I know some things are closed). We%26#39;re going in December, also b/c of my husband%26#39;s work situation.





People have varying opinions on guidebooks, and I have several different ones. My favorite is still Frommer%26#39;s, because I like the way it is organized. I do not use any of the guidebooks for restaurants or hotels, though, except as a kind of %26quot;double check%26quot;. For hotels, I use Trip Advisor, as I think the information here is generally the most current. For restaurants, I read the Chowhound discussion boards. I also invested in the Michelin Red guide, which is great for specific details including restaurant schedules. And finally, I also recently purchased Clotilde%26#39;s Edible Adventures in Paris, which has great information on markets and shops, in addition to restaurants.




|||



I%26#39;ve been in Paris in february twice and it was cold, but doable.





I%26#39;m having a similar problem: now I can only go in July, and I am afraid Paris won%26#39;t be the same for me with hot temperatures.




|||



I have spent many February%26#39;s in Paris as my birthday falls on the 1st and all of my many birthday%26#39;s there have been wonderful.





Paris schools go for a %26quot;Vacances d%26#39;hiver%26quot; in February, usually the 2nd week so it is a different date every year. This is the time most of the people I know in Paris go for the skiing holidays. Some of the restaurants may close for a week but most of them are still open.





The Parks in Paris close a little earlier as they are normally open until dusk. The guards will announce if they are closing and will hurry everyone out the door. After all, they want to go home and keep themselves warm as well! (LOL)





For guidebooks, I just refer to my old Green Guide Michelin for opening and closing times of museums which I don%26#39;t frequent anymore except when there are interesting exhibitions. I shall leave the recommendations to more knowledgeable members.





Enjoy your trip next year. I know you will have a good time.




|||



Thanks for the encouragement and the guide book hints. I%26#39;m looking at 2 hotels as part of a package:





Le Royal Montparnasse or Hotel Jardin Le Brea. Any thoughts regarding either of these?





This will sound odd, but: Is the Left Bank still a great place to be in February? (I grew up in a seaside community and it was definitely Much nicer in the summer months! The rest of the year felt like the party had gone elsewhere, as indeed it had!)




|||



Big night for us last night: Barnes and Noble bookstore going through Frommer%26#39;s, Fodor%26#39;s Paris books and my favorite: Paris for Dummies.





The information regarding the atmosphere in Paris during February is basically: cold, wet, gray, dreary, windy, raw. In other words: exactly what we%26#39;re used to here in the Northeast in February, so no worries. We%26#39;re out and about in our February messy weather and the views aren%26#39;t nearly as grand as they will be in Paris.





The hotels I%26#39;m looking at as part of this cheapo package are in/near St. Germaine, which sounds fascinating and a place that has plenty of dining choices. I don%26#39;t care if I have to travel a fair distance to visit different sites, but I like to be close to good restaurants and a metro stop.





Thanks for your help, I%26#39;m sure to be back with more questions. This is not my first trip to Paris, but it has been many, many years since my last.




|||



Paris in February is fine. The weather is comparable to London so its pot luck if if rains or not.



Paris schools do have a break in February (next year it runs from 14th February to 2nd March). A lot of Parisians do go skiing during this holiday but you will find the majority of shops and restaurants open.



Have you considered staying in an apartment rather than a hotel, they can work out cheaper?




|||



Travel Guides -



I have Rick Steves, Frommer, Fodors, Lonely Planet, and others. My absolute favorite is The Unofficial Guide to Paris. I go to it for everything. I also like the Rough Guides alot.




|||



I love the Access series: Access Paris, Access Rome, Access New York, etc. They are arranged by neighborhoods, so you can see everything you might be interested in visiting in one general area.





I use Rick Steves for practical advice and tips, as well as the maps of small towns that you don%26#39;t usually find mapped in the other guides.





Also, Fodors and Frommers are used for my initial planning. Eye Witness is great to take on the trip along with Access and R.Steves.




|||



Valentine%26#39;s Day in Paris - how can you get more romantic than that?





Actually, when I was there once in February, it hit 70 degrees one day.





Besides the lower prices, you%26#39;ll find it less crowded.





And, if you are looking for a guidebook, donwload mine for free at http://geocities.com/hiddenparis

No comments:

Post a Comment