Saturday, April 21, 2012

Surcharge for Taking Hire Car from Spain to France

I am flying to Girona airport in summer but want to travel into France, to Perpignan, to see family. Does anyone know if all car hire companies charge to do this? It seems that most companies want about 7 euros per day.





I would welcome any advice about this or about car hire from Girona in general. It seems to be a real lottery. I don%26#39;t want one of the off airport companies. I want a company with a check in desk in the terminal.




|||



According to the Girona airport website, there are 6 car hire companies: www.aena.es/csee/Satellite…



I suppose you could try contacting each company individually to see whether they make any charges for driving into France.




|||



How will the car hire company know where you plan to go? Usually there%26#39;s only an extra fee if you drop the car off in a different country from the renting one.




|||



Hi





I live in France near the Spanish border.





Many 2nd home owners fly to Girona (lots of good destinations) and rent a car from, say, Hertz. In fact, the rental and the fuel are slightly cheaper than in France.





You can ask at the desk, but I%26#39;m pretty sure the Spanish deal covers France at no extra cost.





Peter




|||



%26lt;%26lt; How will the car hire company know where you plan to go? Usually there%26#39;s only an extra fee if you drop the car off in a different country from the renting one%26gt;%26gt;





If you do not tell them that you are taking the car out of the country and you have an accident then you could have problems so do not be tempted to say nothing.




|||



I think that the insurance is invalid if you go across the border without telling them so its a real gamble. The flights to Girona were much cheaper than to Perpignan so I guess having to pay a surcharge is the %26#39;down side%26#39;. I have tried several companies but getting a direct answer is tricky. Thanks for all the responses. If anyone knows of a reputable company which doesn%26#39;t charge please let me know. Keep sending responses they are really helpful.




|||



We%26#39;ve never been asked where we were But then we don%26#39;t ever take the insurance, preferring to combine car insurance with our trip insurance.




|||



Catullus



Have you ever actually taken a car out of the country without informing them or is this hypothetical on your part?



It does not matter if you have insurance that covers it (hopefully) the hire car companies want to know if the car is leaving the country. Now there may well be nothing extra to pay but traffic regulations vary and the French car might not have all that is required by the Spanish to meet their regulations and visa versa.




|||



Catullus





Just because you have never been asked does not mean to say that if you are deliberately taking a car out of the country you do not need to mention it.




|||



Since no rental agency ever brought up the subject, I had no idea that it was a problem other than taking a rental into Italy (specific insurance requirement) or eastern Europe. That I knew from the web sites. I abase myself to you for my ignorance, JBart.




|||



Hi





I think this is a %26quot;mountain out of a molehill%26quot; discussion.





I have driven hire cars from Spain to France many times over the years. In the 1970%26#39;s you had to stop at the bottom of the Pyrenees to buy a green card %26amp; bail bond before the French would allow you to cross the border.





I now live in the area, so don%26#39;t need to rent locally. However, I do cross the border frequently in my own car and cross other borders in rental cars for business.





The spec is the same. France %26amp; Spain have common testing for EU certificate of conformity. My own car was imported from Spain (cheaper !) and the re-registration was automatic. I didn%26#39;t even have to provide translations of the Spanish documents.





Spain %26amp; France are now both in EU. The insurance is valid throughout EU.





They are both in Schengen - so they have open (ish !) borders.





Countless business users rent from the major operators and go across borders every day. It is not uncommon to do this in a short time - think Belgium, Holland, France, Germany, Luxemburg.





Remembering this thread, I asked at the Nimes airport Hertz desk this morning (I was collecting someone). They said %26quot;There is absolutely no difference to us in price or insurance cover if you drive the car in Spain, Andorra or France. The drop off fee varies by distance and is higher cross border%26quot;.







Why not just call the desk ?





Peter













No comments:

Post a Comment