Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Paris to Florence by Train - Options ???

HI !





We want to travel from Paris to Florence by train, what are the various options that we have ?





In checking the Trenitalia website, I was not able to book the TGV ticket online. The TGC has a convenient schedule (leaves paris in the evening, arrives in florence next morning) Any suggestions on how else I can book this ticket ?





All other trains had tickets I could purchase online, BUT they did not leave on the date we wanted to leave (27th June) .





Are there any other options (Eurostar doesnt go I think) I have or is trenitalia the only one?? I would really appreciate input from someone who knows the ins and out of the trains systems !!!





Thanks !!!




|||



Hi,





In order to see all the available options, I recommend using the scheduler of the German train (bahn.de/p/…international_guests.shtml) or the Austrian one (http://www.oebb.at/en/).





That site has also a personal schedule service – you can enter your departure and arrival and get a PDF. I created one at …oebb.at/bin/…





And at …bahn.de/bin/…



but I assume that they%26#39;re saved on the site only for limited time, but you can create one for yourself very easily.





One of your options is the direct one





From Paris Bercy (27.06) at 18:59 to Firenze Campo di Marte (arrival: 28.06 at 07:16)





You can buy a ticket at SNCF site: www.voyages-sncf.com/leisure/fr/launch/home/





Another option is the train from Paris Gare de Lyon (19:28) via Dijon – arrival to Firenze at 07:16 as well).



If you want to reserve that train use SNCF site, but type %26quot;Dijon%26quot; next to %26quot;Trajet via%26quot; option.





Good luck!




|||



Hi Od





Thanks so much for the detailed suggestions ! I went to the SNCF websit u suggested :



www.voyages-sncf.com/leisure/fr/launch/home/





But it only shows me options in French (and I dont speak FR at all) Is there a way to get to the english version of the website. I tried several options. Sorry for this silly query.....




|||



sorry about the typo in your name, I meant ohad




|||



Hi,





Believe me, that%26#39;s not a silly query… this site is very difficult to navigate for people who don%26#39;t speak French. In order to switch to English, please do as following (I learnt this %26quot;trick%26quot; from a member of this forum)





1. Choose train-%26gt;Reservez un billet de train.





2. Look at the address (URL) of the page and change LANG=FR to LANG=UK





3. Press Enter and you%26#39;ll be redirected to the English page.




|||



By the way, you can use http://www.raileurope.com which is much more comfortable to handle, but please compare the prices to the SNCF site.




|||



I say fly. It will take approx 12 hours on a train for more money then flying.





Here are a few sites that you can look through. I say this b/c some flights land in Pisa, some Venice, and some Milan. So, it will depend on what time you want to go and what you want to spend. Pisa is not far from Florence. So, I would suggest that one.





Here are the budget airlines: Just search them in Google and they will pop right up: My Air, Easy Jet, RyanAir, or One Air. They range from 23E one way to 110 euro one way.




|||



Thanks everyone !!! I love tripadvisor, this forum is awesome.





Ohad- your tip worked just great. I have just one more question.





If I book on sncf (looks like the prices are much cheaper that raileurope.com), then should I get my tickets delivered to my hotel in Paris? Is it a safe option ?



I dont think they deliver to the US.




|||



Buffalo66, thanks much for the fly tip. atkleast i have another option. didnt realize that flights are this cheap. however, its also an extra night of stay at a hotel.





Iam in the midst of doing the math to see whats more economical from a comfort, travel perspective. Pisa is not a bad option to fly into as you said/





Iam hoping it%26#39;ll all work out ....




|||



Since people are suggesting various modes of transportation I wanted to mention that it is NOT a good idea to take the bus. I took the bus from Lyon to Florence and had the worst experience of all of my european travels. I think the bus company is called Econolines--avoid it like the plague. Our bus restroom never worked, the bus broke down 3 times, the bus driver kept yelling at passengers to be quiet, and we arrived 8 hours late. Can you spell Nightmare!!!!




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, September 30, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment