Friday, March 23, 2012

St Germain or This Place?

Our brains have turned to mush trying to decide which apartment. My wife and I have found two - one in St Germain and the other ... I%26#39;m not sure what district.





The St Germain one is 100 Euros cheaper but the other one is a few blocks from the parks around the Conchord





District Louvre/Opéra/Grands Boulevards



Apartment address 11 rue Vignon





anyone care to weigh in?




|||



The other place is in the %26#39;2 emme Arr.%26#39; according to google maps. Does anyone know whether this a good district to stay in?




|||



Vignon (on my map) is right on the border of 8 and 9 very fashionable area, and close to the shopping of Blvd. Haussmann.



I guess it depends on right versus Left bank, proximity to transportation, amenities of the apartments (washer/dryer, phone, etc.)




|||



I like the 6th myself - but both are good locations. €100 is about $AUD 161 - probably not going to break the bank in the grand scheme of things. Which is nicer/has better amenities?




|||



Rue Vignon has better amenities than Rue du Four (St Germain) but the latter is slightly closer to the Metro and .... sorry my brain has just fried again ... but I wonder if we will spend much time in the apartment anyway. (We are travelling with a 6y.o. girl)





The 100 E is not much overall, but its a 4 week trip and is stacking up. And I haven%26#39;t even booked the following week in London yet (even more expensive!). And today we learn we have a wedding to go to in Rarotonga in October!!





I fear I shall be forced to busk halfway thru this trip ...




|||



I%26#39;d definitely take the Rue du Four for location. Its very central to many metro stations, restaurants, parks, gardens, interesting churches, cafes, patisseries, shops, etc. Very attractive area. Not far from Seine. Rue du Four itself is high level shops which some might turn some people off. I wouldn%26#39;t at all say that Rue Vignon has better amenities than St. Germain area and I%26#39;d say it has less interest and character. We stayed at R. Vignon (quite a few years ago, however) and did not enjoy it nearly as much as our several times in St. Germain. But it does depend on your interests. There are some things around Vignon--Madeleine, Opera, depart stores, Fauchon etc food shops near Madeleine that may be of interest to you. But generally Vignon impresses me as more of just a big city area with less character. (My impression only, of course).




|||



Oops! Sorry, maybe you meant the Rue Vignon APARTMENT has better amenities than the RdFour apt? And didn%26#39;t mean that the Vignon AREA has better amenities? Well, anyway, you got my opinion and I hope I didn%26#39;t fry your brain further.




|||



With a six-year old you should probably plan to carry the child up and down all the stairs in the Metro or take the bus which is more %26quot;young child friendly.%26quot; That may or may not be a factor in which area is %26quot;more convenient%26quot; to where you will be spending your time.




|||



It%26#39;s all very individual but I%26#39;m a St. Germain person myself -- I don%26#39;t know the exact location of the place in the 2nd arr. but I just think the St. Germain area has more character and much more going on. For a child, there%26#39;s the Luxembourg Gardens, which is fun for kids of all ages. And you won%26#39;t be far from the river. Sounds like the other place may be near the Tuileries, which I don%26#39;t find nearly as interesting as the Luxembourg Gardens.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, September 30, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment