Friday, March 23, 2012

Special dinner next friday - still no reservations. Suggest?

So I%26#39;ve been reseraching restaurants for next Friday (june 13th) for my 40th birthday dinner/last night in Paris. Places I have contacted over the last few weeks are all booked (we are on wait list at Jules Verne). Is it too late to find anything? At this point should we just keep our eyes open while walking around next week and go inside any that look interesting and see/hope/pray they can accomodate us for Friday nite? Does anyone have any suggestions for a fabulous place that would still possibly have room? We are doing Les Ombres and Cafe De L%26#39;homme on other nights.




|||



Joel Robuchon might be your best bet if you want an early reservation or if you%26#39;re walking by, as they don%26#39;t take reservations and you might get lucky.





If you%26#39;re staying at a hotel, have you tried reserving through a concierge? If not, do you have Amex Plat/Cent? If not, perhaps you have a friend who does and who%26#39;ll be able to reserve for you? Sometimes Amex is surprisingly helpful and stars may align just right for your bday :-).




|||



Tonight I was at Marche Saint Honore and found it very lively and exciting. There is nothing to see. It is all history. Perso, I do not need to be near ET (lol).



I had dinner at Au Petit Theatre (01 42 61 00 93).



Had the specials (white asparagus in appetizer and green asparagus in main course with seabass). There were other specials. The specialties however are snails, foie gras, duck, rabbit etc. and they tell you the origin of all their products. Good selection of wines but no carafes.



There are many other restaurants around as well as wine bars and cafes. Girls practicing their rollerblading, guys doing figures on their bikes, lots of people watching. Not at all an atmosphere like forum des Halles, this is BCGB Paris.



A slice of Parisian life... without ET views.




|||



Joel Robuchon: I saw an episode of Giada DiLaurentiis in Paris (Food Network). She and her husband ate at Joel Robuchon%26#39;s restaurant. I was extremely disappointed to see that they made a dessert that had Oreo cookies in it and another that used %26quot;pop rocks%26quot;--remember those? I can%26#39;t imagine a french restaurant of any kind--let alone high end--that would use those two ingredients in their food. I will never set foot in that place.





How about Le Train Bleu for lunch that day? It is located at Gare de Lyon train station and is Belle Epoque decor. It is very pretty, the food is decent, and the price doesn%26#39;t break the bank. You can go on-line to their site and see pictures of how beautiful this place is. You probably need reservations, however, it is a very large restaurant.




|||



Amex rewards is a great idea! We do have plat amex. Now if i can get the comfortable shoes part covered. sigh. stress...




|||



Giada went to L%26#39;Atelier Joel Robuchon.





He has two other restaurants in Paris at the moment: La Table de Joel Robuchon and La Cave de Joel Robuchon.





See http://www.joel-robuchon.com/




|||



But one of the JR restaurants is sitting at a long bar...that%26#39;s not too intimate.




|||



I understand your looking for a special dinner for your 40th birthday - too bad you won%26#39;t be at Les Ombres that night, as it will be plenty special.





My recommendation would be to browse on www.bestrestaurantsparis.com and select a place you find really appealing.





I%26#39;m thinking of celebrating my 60th at La Grande Cascade. But, I really appreciate beautiful dining destinations with a lot of historical significance, along with wonderful (and not too %26quot;foody%26quot;) cuisine. I%26#39;ve been dreaming of this place since seeing it in the movie %26quot;Belle du Jour%26quot; (1967) years and years ago.





Anyway, it%26#39;s most important to find a place appealing to you...




|||



I need to give you a heads up on www.bestrestaurantsparis.com. I think it would be okay to look on the site to get some ideas. However, I used that site extensively last year to pick about 12 restaurants for my 30 day stay in Paris. I emailed for reservations to them. It was a complete fiasco. Several of them were run down and not at all as nice as they appeared in the photos on the site. Several of them never confirmed my reservations like the site said they would do. Several others had no record of my reservation even though they had confirmed. The lady who runs that site reads this forum, saw my concerns and emailed me directly. However, she would never respond back to my emails nor help me get things cleared up. I will never use their site again nor take seriously anything they have to say.





I just wanted you to have this information to balance off the previous suggestion of using this site.




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt; Joel Robuchon: I saw an episode of Giada DiLaurentiis in Paris (Food Network). ... I will never set foot in that place.





I think it%26#39;s extremely unfair to base an opinion on what you%26#39;ve read or seen on TV. Robuchon%26#39;s cuisine is divine and I would highly recommend that everyone try L%26#39;Atelier provided they can.





Kalinka, if you have Amex plat you should try %26amp; engage their concierge for restaurant reservations.




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt; But one of the JR restaurants is sitting at a long bar...that%26#39;s not too intimate.





If you%26#39;re able to grab a seat at the bar (something that%26#39;s recommended for first-timers) you%26#39;ll be too occupied with the magnificence of the dishes and won%26#39;t notice the world around you :-).





Have you also considered the restaurant at Le Meurice? Read this: luxeat.com/my_weblog/2007/11/le-meurice.html





This is a former cover girl whose reviews of NY %26amp; Paris restaurants are in synch with mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment