Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Apt with Eiffel Tower view - worth it?

I%26#39;m planning my second trip to Paris, spending a week next spring. I%26#39;d like to rent an apartment, and am debating whether it%26#39;s worth the premium for a really good view of the Eiffel Tower.





www.parisperfect.com has a lot of nice places with great views of the Eiffel Tower, but in the neighborhood of 2500 to 3000 euros per week. (Very much pushing the outer limits of my comfort zone).





Looks like I could get a really nice place in other parts of town for about half that and I recognize that some of these other neighborhoods might be more fun to stay in (last trip I stayed at Hotel Villa Mazarin in the Marais, loved the hotel and the location).





I stayed in Venice last year, and had an apartment with a balcony on the Grand Canal, and spending mornings and evenings watching the Grand Canal really enhanced the experience.





I realize other folks can%26#39;t address what%26#39;s worth it me, not worth it me, but I%26#39;m wondering if others have experienced the same dilemma and how they%26#39;ve resolved it, or spent the money for a great Eiffel Tower view and thought it was worth it/not worth it.





Thanks in advance.




|||



Here are some ET view apartments that aren%26#39;t as steep in price. I would love to someday stay somewhere with a view of the ET, but it%26#39;s just not that important to me. I will be in Paris for the 4th time in September (having just been there this past February) and what%26#39;s important to me is location and proximity to a Metro stop. However, I can completely understand why a view would be of paramount importance to others. Good luck!





www.haveninparis.com/rental/abbesses.php





www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_154.htm





http://www.vrbo.com/46310




|||



And another one...



parissweethome.com/parisrentals/paris.php…




|||



We stayed in an apartment with a wonderful view of the Eiffel Tower two years ago, rented through Ah!Paris (www.ahparis.com) - Apt 184. It was 1645 euros per week for a lovely traditional French apartment for up to 5 people. We loved to sit in the evening in the living room, sipping a glass of wine and watching the Tower twinkling, and it was startling to see it during the day. So I%26#39;d say it does enhance the experience, but I wouldn%26#39;t pay 3000 euros just for a view! I do think the ambience of the apartment is important - do you want traditional French style or cutting edge design?




|||



I%26#39;m a bit confused as to why an ET view is so important, especially as you say that there are other parts of town that would be cheaper and more fun to stay in. That has to mean that areas with a good view of the ET are not much fun, and I agree. If you really need to look at the thing you can do so any time and then go and do something more useful.




|||



I can understand your dilema.



My daughter was 8 years old on her first trip to Paris and just LOVED the Eiffel Tower. We were there in August and so it didn%26#39;t start to sparkle in the evening until quite late. We were staying near the Louvre on that occasion and it was just a quick walk down to the Seine to a vantage point to see it at night (from a distance) but it would have been wonderful for her to be able to see it from our apartment.



On our most recent visit she was 11 and able to stay up much later but because it was winter even though the sparkle started much earlier the evenings were cold and unfortunately wet! We only visited the tower on one evening - she just couldn%26#39;t be bothered going out in the rain. Like you we considered an apartment with an ET view but ultimately chose to be in the Marais instead.



I think this depends what type of person you are. Are you going to be spending time in your apartment or is it just somewhere to sleep? We spent a lot of time in our apartments in the evenings because we were travelling with children. Others are more likely to be in a restaurant or bar and just don%26#39;t see the value in an apartment with a view. Everybody is different.



The other thing to consider is a different view. I agree that most of the apartments with spectacular Eiffel Tower views are expensive and in areas that didn%26#39;t appeal to me. The Eiffel Tower screams PARIS but so do many other sights. What about a view of the Seine or Sacre Couer or Notre Dame or one of the 100s of other amazing looking churches or monuments or squares or cute streets or courtyards?



I would choose the area (or areas) where you want to stay and then find an apartment in that area with a view that appeals to you.



Whatever you choose have a wonderful trip!




|||



Whether it%26#39;s %26quot;worth it%26quot; is entirely up to you.





We stayed in a ParisPerfect apartment three times. Though, by booking a year in advance we got rates before increases, and now that they%26#39;ve redecorated, improved, and added a/c, etc., to most of their apartments the prices are even steeper.





We did absolutely love the view of the Tour Eiffel from all three windows in the apartment. Every night we would sit on the balcony and enjoy one %26quot;sparkle%26quot; after another. For the last sparkle, the main lights are turned off first, and it is just magical.





However, there are lots and lots of apartments, some very economical (especially in the 15th), with lower rates that have excelent views of the Tour Eiffel. A Google search will bring up many.




|||



My friends and I stayed in the Sancerre and Champagne PP apartments in the summer of 2006. There were 7 of us and we just split the cost of the apartments evenly. That brought our price to less than a 2** hotel! However, the prices are high for a single person paying their price.





I must say that we all just loved the apartments and to me the Eiffel Tower is the epitome of Paris, so spent many hours over our 8 nights staring at the Tower, from early morning just waking up and late at night going to bed. We all squealed with delight when she started to %26quot;sparkle%26quot; and we were all 60+ years old!!!! So for us, it was soooo worth it.





Email them and ask if there are any discounts available. Can%26#39;t hurt to ask.





Enjoy!





luvparee/joy




|||



Most PP apartements are on vrbo at 20% less....





As other stated you are the only one who can decide what is worth for you. For me I find it totally ridiculous to paid such price only for a view of a Tower one can see from everywhere! We find the perfect place for us, a private garden, wifi, all the possible commerces one could dream of and no tourists! vbro.com/103254 (at 660 for 7 nights we can afford to go at least twice a year!)




|||



I guess it depends how much you like the ET. It is nice to see it sparkle in the distance but



it can be seen from most open spaces in Paris and that%26#39;s good for me except on Bastille day.



I think I would prefer a view of the Seine near Ile Saint Louis myself...




|||



We stayed in a great apartment in the 6th... corner of Rue de Seine and Rue de Buci. It%26#39;s available through France:Homestyle (www.francehomestyle.com).





It has a private rooftop terrace from which you can see most of the Eiffel Tower. You can also see the top of the ET from the kitchen window.





You can check out pics at our website... http://photos.karlandsigne.com







Karl and Signe

No comments:

Post a Comment