Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Opinions on suitcase locks

I always use TSA locks on my suitcases. Right now I have the metal type with a key. Now I am thinking of purchasing the combo TSA lock so I don%26#39;t have to worry about keys.





My question is this...do the baggage handlers have the master lock keys also? My boyfriend never uses locks b/c he thinks that they can get into the suitcase anyway, so why bother.





Am I wasting my money to buy a combo lock or not? Just thought I would get some opinions on this. After my bathing suits were stolen from my suitcase on a trip to LA a few years ago, I started using them on each trip.




|||



There is no lock that is guaranteed to keep everyone but the TSA out of your luggage. Those little locks are just as easy to cut off with a bolt cutter as pop open with a key. However, a lock might slow down someone long enough for them to choose someone else%26#39;s bag. If the combo locks are more convenient to you, use them. Not having to worry about the key is one less hassle.





The only real solution is to stop checking your bags, and pack a carry-on only. In any case, do not ever put anything valuable like electronics in your checked baggage, ever.




|||



I no longer bother with locks. And, I see very few locks on bags on the luggage carousels these days. Some say they attract attention.





I use twist ties to keep the zipper pulls together.





If anything were to disappear from your bags, you%26#39;d never figure out where along the way that happened. Do you really believe that only TSA people have %26quot;master keys%26quot;?





Before you invest in locks - Most suitcases have nylon zippers. Take a ball point pen and push between the zipper teeth and it splits open very easily. Then, you can just run the locked zipper pulls along the open area to reclose.




|||



WE usually put the TSA approved combo locks on our luggage--but I think it only discourages people stealing from your bag. Our luggage is fairly low end, so I don%26#39;t think it looks tempting.





However, in April we flew out of LAX on American. AFter all of the crazy way we had to check in (International destination so we couldn%26#39;t use the skycap) and the long wait, we were told if we wanted to keep the locks on the bag, we would then need to take the baggage to another area (at the other end of the concourse) to check them in. AFter waiting 45 minutes to check in, we decided just to take the locks off.




|||



We always uses the TSA combination locks. Anyone who is determined to steal the contents of your bag can do so. What we%26#39;re always concerned about is someone putting something into one of our bags.





When you consider the questions asked when you check your luggage, it%26#39;s not a far-fetched idea.





We can always tell that our locks have been opened, but they always have been replaced when they come around on the carousel at baggage claim. We haven%26#39;t lost anything from any of our bags on any trips.




|||



After one experience with my suitcase being halfway unzipped on the baggage carrousel, I always use a TSA comination lock. If someone wants to get in, they will so it is more for a deterrent then anything else. One time we used the nylon ties, but then you are left sitting in your hotel room with no way to open them!





TSA usually leaves a note card in your suitcase if they open it.




|||



Buffalo66: FWIW.... Going FROM the USA to Europe, there%26#39;s no problem with using the locks, since the TSA is an American organisation. The TSA-approved locks are really intended only for domestic air travel.





The issues pop up if you and/or your bags happen to make a stop-over, and when you return to the USA ... there, the locks will probably be cut off -- nothing sinister, just the way it usually works.... twist ties or those plastic %26quot;zip%26quot; ties work just as well.





Bonne route!




|||



We use %26quot;cable ties%26quot;, the self-locking plastic straps that are used to bundle electrical cables. They can%26#39;t be removed without cutting and they%26#39;re very strong. We had our locks cut off our suitcases somewhere between Seattle and Paris on a BA flight and the cost was $23 to replace them. The cable ties cost less than a dime each.



http://tinyurl.com/67wzt8




|||



There seems to be concensus that the locks do not offer 100% security but my concern has always been that these locks are like a flashing neon sign that says %26quot;look at me there is something really valuable in here?




|||



We use the cable ties as well. Both within North America and to UK and Paris. I think the TSA locks are a waste of money - of course the keys are going to be out there! The cable ties are cheap and might encourage somebody to move along to the next suitcase. We keep a pair of cheap nail scissors (or similar) in an outside pocket of one of the suitcases so we can cut the ties off when we get to the hotel. And a few spare cable ties in the suitcase for the return trip.




|||



I like locking my suit case when I%26#39;m doing a lot of train travel. I don%26#39;t want someone trying to messg with my bags when they are stowed in a different part of the car than where I am sitting.





As for locking them on the planes....I don%26#39;t think locks scream %26quot;look at me%26quot;. People have been locking their bags forever - whether you zip tie them or lock them...it%26#39;s nice know someone who is trying to snoop might not want to take the time with your lock and they%26#39;ll move on....and that the zippers will stay together.





It%26#39;s a suitcase - not a vault. Anyone can get in - airport staff definitely...airport staff are supposed to have a %26quot;master%26quot; key...or they just cut it. I%26#39;ve locked my bag and when opening it up at home seen a note that it had been inspected and the lock had been put back on.





Target carries the locks - they aren%26#39;t expensive. So if it gives you some peace of mind then go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment