Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Traditional cabaret that's not the mainstream?



Is there any place where I can see cabaret which is not mainstream , such as The Crazy Horse or Moulin Rouge, as I%26#39;ve heard these are very expensive and a lot of people think they%26#39;re not worth it.





I am looking for something very traditional and unique. Maybe some old smokey bar that the locals go to?





A nice old bar where we can see someone singing, acting, dancing etc.




|||



Bingo!! I have two suggestions which are exactly what you are suggesting.





Au Lapin Agile, 22 rue des Saules, Tues-Sun 9pm-2am. This is a bar which has a sing-along-show. This place is behind Place de Tertre on Montmartre. It is across the street from the only vineyard in Paris. It is a very famous place where the famous painters used to hang out in their day. You need reservations. I was supposed to go on my last trip. When I arrived for the show, there was a note on the door saying an emergency had come up and they were sorry but they needed to close. So I will try again on my next visit.





Le Canotier du Pied de la butte, 62 bd Rochechouart, in the 18th arrondissement. This is the oldest cabaret in all of Paris. Edith Piaf and Maurice Chevalier used to perform here I think. They have a website so look it up. You need reservations. It is the same sing-along structure. It looks like fun. I want to go here too.




|||







Thanks very much, In Love with Paris,





They both sound and look exactly what I am after!





I think I will try and get to to both of those :)




|||



I found this whilst browsing. Haven%26#39;t been so cannot recommend it, perhaps one of the locals knows more?



bars-bistrots.com/vieuxbelleville/index.php3…




|||







I am really annoyed because I didn%26#39;t realise that the two recommendations from %26quot; I%26#39;m in love with Paris%26quot; are very expensive!





They look and sound lovely but does anyone know somewhere like this but which is a bit cheaper! 24 euro including one drink and then 7 euro for drinks after that seems an awful lot.




|||



Over all our trips, we haven%26#39;t found that much of what you%26#39;re looking for. We did go to those mentioned above before they got so expensive and, while nice, weren%26#39;t that impressive.





There are lots of small places with live music and chansons - you can find with a web search.





As mentioned above, there are a few places in Belleville, which is a bit of a hike. We enjoyed





www.le-vieux-belleville.com





But, the best place for live music of that sort is probably Montmartre. There are many places around Place du Tertre with live music. Yes, it%26#39;s %26quot;touristy%26quot;, but I don%26#39;t think the %26quot;locals%26quot; care so much for that type of entertainment any more. On our last visit, we found a terrific woman who sang Edith Piaf, etc., a wonderful three piece jazz combo, two gents on guitars, etc. A block or two away, we found a terrific piano player. And, we lucked into catching Olivier Lancelot at Le Hudon, with his jazz trio. Awesome!





Also, pick up a copy of Pariscope at a news kiosk when you arrive and turn to the section in English.





Many of the hotels have very nice piano bars - but, drinks are pricey!




|||



Carolotte07--The Moulin Rouge and Lido are way more expensive--although their show is, I am sure, way more extravagant than the two cabarets I mentioned. I don%26#39;t drink much so I don%26#39;t end up spending extra money on drinks. I go for the show and to me it is worth it.




|||



inexpensive cabaret, yes try chez Michou, it%26#39;s a travesti%26#39;s revue with the dinner, inexpensive and great fun ...




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:26 am, September 30, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment